I had someone send me an email recently asking how they could set up their Ross Carbonite to control ProPresenter, advancing slides and playlists through a custom control. After writing it out for them, I thought I would share this step-by-step tutorial.
It does require a Communications module license in ProPresenter. If you don’t own one, you can purchase it from RenewedVision.
- Go to Preferences, and choose the Communications module from the menu at the top.
- Click “Add Device” at the bottom and choose “RossTalk” from the list.
Under Behavior, choose “Device”. If you wanted to control your Ross Carbonite from ProPresenter, you would choose “Controller”.
Type in the IP address for the Carbonite and the port you wish to use. The default RossTalk port is 7788. I would recommend limiting the traffic to the single network interface that is connected to the same network as your Carbonite.
When you are done creating the device, click Connect.
- If ProPresenter has connected successfully to the Carbonite, the button will turn green.
- On the Carbonite, hit Menu, then choose System > Next > Next > Device Config.
If you don’t see Add (new), scroll the far left knob (device select) until that option appears.
Turn the far left knob to choose the slot you want to assign it to. For this example, I chose Slot 1.
- Turn the middle knob to select Type: RossTalk.
- Hit Next.
- Use the far left knob to change the subtype of the server to xpression_1.0.
- Hit Next.
- Turn the knobs to enter in the IP address of ProPresenter computer.
- Hit Next.
- Turn the far right knob to set the Port if you didn’t use the default of 7788.
- Tap the far left knob to save the device.
- Tap the far left knob again to confirm the new device settings.
Now Hit Menu, then choose Config > Input (the far left knob).
Turn the far left knob to scroll through the inputs until you find the input for your ProPresenter computer. In my example, my ProPresenter input is labeled GFX.
- Hit Next twice until you see the Device option. It should be unassigned.
- Tap the center knob to enter the Device assign settings.
- Turn the far left knob to select the Device Slot you set up earlier in Step 3. I chose Slot 1.
- Tap the far left knob to add the device, then tap again to confirm.
- Now any time you bring that ProPresenter input up in Preview or Program on the switcher, it should automatically bring the device settings up on the menu screen of the Carbonite.
- If you tap the far right knob (NEXT), it will advance to the right in ProPresenter, going to the next slide. If you turn the far left knob (UP/DWN) to the left or right, it will advance up or down in the playlist.
- If you hit the NEXT button beside the Menu button on the Carbonite, you can see other options for the device. You can clear the various ProPresenter layers, etc.For your reference, those are:
- Layer 0: Clear All
- Layer 1: Clear Live Video
- Layer 2: Clear Background
- Layer 3: Clear Slide
- Layer 4: Clear Props
Now you need to record a Custom Control in order to create a macro for this.
- Hit CC, and then select a blank bank/button.
- Hit record.
- You’ll need to then put the ProPresenter video input in Preview, to bring up the device settings.
- Tap the far right knob for “Next”, which will advance the slide.
- Then stop recording.
- You can edit the CC to remove the step of putting ProPresenter in Preview, as that was only for recording purposes.
I hope this helps!